As of June 29th, 2018, all internet connected devices are upgrading to new security standards, known as Transport Layer Security (TLS). TLS Versions below 1.2 are being phased out, and devices accessing the Internet that are not updated to utilize the required TLS Version will not be able to perform many functions related to Internet connectivity.
If your NOOK Device is not updated to meet these new TLS security standards, you will not be able to make any purchases, or download and manage your NOOK Content from your NOOK Device.
Common errors associated with old NOOK Software Versions:
-- "We’re having trouble with your connection. Please try again or check Wi-Fi Settings and make sure you are connected to a working access point. For help, visit http://nook.com/support"
-- “To access Shop you must enable Wi-Fi and have an Internet connection.”
-- Having trouble connecting to the NOOK Shop
The following NOOK Devices will require a software update for TLS compliance. If your device is on this list, and the Software Version is lower than listed, please read ahead for instructions on how to update.
Android Tablets & Phones not included in list below will require Android OS 4.4.2 or higher and the latest version of the NOOK app from the Google Play Store.
* The NOOK HD & NOOK HD+ Software Version numbers did not change when a TLS patch was released. These devices may display Version 2.2.1, but not be TLS compliant. Be sure to download the software update for your device if you are experiencing issues, even with the correct Software Version number.
Determining the Version Number of Your Current NOOK Software
Go to NOOK Settings.
Tap on Device Info.
Tap on About Your NOOK.
Locate the version number of the NOOK software installed on your NOOK.
Manual Download Instructions
Note for NOOK HD/HD+ Users:On NOOK HD and NOOK HD+, you can manually check for software updates in the Device Information screen of your Settings menu. If you attempt to check for an update and receive an error message stating “There was a problem with the update. Download Status Retry”, this is an indication that you have not received the software update for TLS 1.2. Continue with the steps below to update your software.
To manually install the update please follow the steps below.
1. Power on your NOOK device and connect it to your computer via USB cable. Once connected, open My Computer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) to locate and confirm the connected device named MyNOOK.
Android File Transfer is an application for Mac Computers (running Mac OS 10.7 or higher) to view and transfer files between your Mac and an Android device.
2. From your computer, locate your device below and click the Download link for the required software update file. If prompted, select Save As and select the MyNOOK device located in Step 1, click Save and skip to Step 4. If you did not receive a prompt check your browser download history to locate the file.
Note: Do not modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do not try to open the file as this will only result in an error.
3. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded file onto the MyNOOK device located in Step 1.
Note: Do not open or unzip the file. Do not create a new folder on the MyNOOK device or add the file to any other existing folder.
4. After the download to the MyNOOK Device is complete, you may Eject or Safely Remove the MyNOOK device, and unplug your NOOK from your computer.
5. Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes into sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the Lock screen.
Note: We recomend that your NOOK Battery is charged at 20% or more. Do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Customer Service at 1-800-843-2665.